FieldTrip workshop in Barcelona
The workshop is hosted by the Sociedad Española de Psicofisiología y Neurociencia cognitiva y afectiva (SEPNECA).
In the Aula Master of the Llevant Building, at the Campus Mundet, near the Faculty of Psychology (google maps).
July 9th ‐ 10th 2015
Diego Lozano-Soldevilla and Robert Oostenveld will be lecturing and tutoring. Josep Marco-Pallares is the host and local organiser.
Thursday July 9th
- 9:00 – 9:30 Registration, coffee, opening remarks
- 9:30 – 10:30 Lecture: An introduction to the MEG and the FieldTrip toolbox
- 10:30 – 10:45 Coffee Break
- 10:45 – 12:30 Hands-on: Getting started with event-related fields
- 12:30 – 13:45 Lunch
- 13:45 – 14:45 Lecture: Fundamentals of neuronal oscillations and synchrony
- 14:45 – 15:00 Coffee Break
- 15:00 – 17:00 Hands-on: Time-frequency analysis of power
- 17:00 – 17:30 Wrap-up-the-day: “Ask the experts” session
- 21:00 – … Social get-together
Friday July 10th
- 9:00 – 10:00 Lecture: Forward and inverse models
- 10:00 – 10:15 Coffee break
- 10:15 – 12:00 Hands-on: Identifying oscillatory sources using beamformers
- 12:00 – 13:15 Lunch
- 13:15 – 14:15 Lecture: Non-parametric statistical techniques
- 14:15 – 14:30 Coffee break
- 16:30 – 17:00 Wrap-up-the-day: “Ask the experts” session.
- Handing in of evaluation forms
- Handing out certificates
Getting started with the hands-on sessions
For the hands-on sessions you have to start MATLAB. To ensure that everything runs smooth, we will work with a clean and well-tested version of FieldTrip that is distributed on a USB stick, rather than the version you might already have installed. (If you have a FieldTrip version dating from sometime in the last few weeks, that should be fine.) Importantly, the tutorial data does not have to be downloaded but will also be distributed on the USB stick.
- Copy the complete contents of the USB stick to your computer.
- Unzip the fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx.zip file.
- Put Subject01.zip in a directory called 'tutorial'.
After copying all files to your computer and unzipping then, you start MATLAB. To ensure that the right version of fieldtrip is used, and not another version (such as the one included in SPM or EEGLAB), you type in the MATLAB command window
restoredefaultpath cd path_to_directory/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx addpath(pwd) ft_defaults
Please do NOT add fieldtrip with all subdirectories, subdirectories will be added automatically when needed, and only when needed.
The restoredefaultpath command clears your path, keeping only the official MATLAB toolboxes. The addpath(pwd) statement adds the present working directory, i.e. the directory containing the fieldtrip main functions. The ft_defaults command ensures that all required subdirectories are added to the path.
If you get the error “can't find the command ft_defaults” you should check the present working directory.
After installing FieldTrip to your path, you change into the tutorial directory