FieldTrip workshop Donostia
BCBL, San Sebastian, Spain.
Monday May 13 - Wednesday May 15.
Nicola Molinaro is the host and local organizer. Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, Diego Lozano-Soldevilla and Lilla Magyari (Donders, Nijmegen, NL) are the main tutors.
Installing FieldTrip and Tutorial preparation
For the hands-on sessions you have to start MATLAB. To ensure that everything runs smooth, we will work with a clean and well-tested version of FieldTrip that is distributed on a USB stick, rather than the version you might already have installed. Furthermore, the tutorial data does not have to be downloaded but will also be distributed on the USB stick.
- Copy the contents from the USB stick to your computer
- Unzip the fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx.zip file.
- Unzip the “data.zip” file, you should place the contents in the same directory, e.g. in a newly created directory called ‘toolkit’.
Depending on the unzip program you are using (e.g. Winrar), the name of the zip file might also appear as directiory, resulting in path_to_directory/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx, i.e. the FieldTrip directory in a FieldTrip directory. Please fix that by moving all files one level up.
After copying all files to your computer and unzipping then, you start MATLAB. To ensure that the right version of FieldTrip is used, and not another version (such as the one included in SPM or EEGLAB), you type in the MATLAB command window
restoredefaultpath cd path_to_directory/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx addpath(pwd) ft_defaults
Please do NOT use the graphical path management tool from MATLAB. In this hands-on session we’ll manage the path from the command line, but in general you are much better off using a startup.m file than the path GUI.
Please do NOT add FieldTrip with all subdirectories, subdirectories will be added automatically when needed, but only when needed.
The restoredefaultpath command clears your path, keeping only the official MATLAB toolboxes. The addpath(pwd) statement adds the present working directory, i.e. the directory containing the fieldtrip main funcctions. The ft_defaults command ensures that all required subdirectories are added to the path.
If you get the error “can’t find the command ft_defaults” you should check the present working directory.
After installing FieldTrip to your path, you change into the data directory
- 1h intro lecture
- 2h handson http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/eventrelatedaveraging
- 1h spectral analysis lecture
- 2h handson http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/timefrequencyanalysis
- food and drinks
- 1h beamforming lecture
- 2h hands on http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/beamformer
- 1h nonparametric statistics lecture
- 1h hands on http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/cluster_permutation_timelock
- 1h hands on http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/cluster_permutation_freq
- food and drinks
- playground (working on own data)