FieldTrip Workshop in Tübingen, Germany
- Workshop leaders: Britta Westner and Tzvetan Popov
- When: 13-14 October 2016
- Where: University of Tübingen, Germany
We will keep this page up to date and post new information here when available.
Day 1 (Thursday 13 October, 2016)
- 09:00 - 09:30 Registration, welcome and coffee
- 09:30 - 10:45 Lecture 1: Fundamentals of neuronal oscillations and synchrony (Britta Westner)
- 11:00 - 12:45 Hands-on 1:
- 12:45 - 13:00 Lunch
- 13:30 - 15:00 Lecture 2: Statistics using non-parametric randomization techniques (Tzvetan Popov)
- 15:00 - 15:15 Coffee Break
- 15:15 - 16:15 Hands-on 2:
- 16:30 - 17:00 Wrap-up-the-day: special topics, general questions and answers
- 19:00 - 21:30 Dinner: tba (not included in registration)
Day 2 (Friday 14 October, 2016)
- 9:00 - 10:30 Lecture 3: Source reconstruction using beamformers (Britta Westner)
- 10:30 - 10:45 Coffee break
- 10:35 - 12:15 Hands-on 3:
- 12:15 - 13:00 Lunch
- 13:00 - 14:30 Hands-on 4:
- 14:30 - 14:45 Coffee break
- 14:45 - 17:00 FieldTrip playground (bring your own data!)
- 17:00 - 17:30 Wrap up the event, questions and answers!
To prepare for the hands-on sessions, you should watch the following online videos prior to the workshop. Note that these lectures are about one hour each, which means that you should plan ahead and take your time to go through them. It is your own responsibility to come well-prepared. Starting one day in advance will not cut it!
Installing FieldTrip and Tutorial preparation
For the hands-on sessions you have to start MATLAB. To ensure that everything runs smooth, we will work with a clean and well-tested version of fieldtrip. The tutorial data together with the FieldTrip version can be downloaded here).
- Unzip the FieldTrip-Tutorial-Tübingen.zip file.
- Unzip the fieldtrip-master.zip file.
- Put all the data files in a directory called ‘tutorial’ (or something else you’ll remember).
Depending on the unzip program you are using (e.g. Winrar), the name of the zip file might also appear as directiory, resulting in path_to_directory/fieldtrip-master/fieldtrip-master, i.e. the FieldTrip directory in a FieldTrip directory. Please fix that by moving all files one level up.
After copying all files to your computer and unzipping then, you start MATLAB. To ensure that the right version of FieldTrip is used, and not another version (such as the one included in SPM or EEGLAB), you type in the MATLAB command window
restoredefaultpath cd path_to_directory/fieldtrip-master addpath(pwd) ft_defaults
Please do NOT use the graphical path management tool from MATLAB. In this hands-on session we’ll manage the path from the command line, but in general you are much better off using the startup.m file than the path GUI.
Please do NOT add FieldTrip with all subdirectories, subdirectories will be added automatically when needed, and only when needed.
The restoredefaultpath command clears your path, keeping only the official MATLAB toolboxes. The addpath(pwd) statement adds the present working directory, i.e. the directory containing the FieldTrip main functions. The ft_defaults command ensures that all required subdirectories are added to the path.
If you get the error “can’t find the command ft_defaults” you should check the present working directory.
After installing FieldTrip to your path, you change into the tutorial directory