FieldTrip workshop in Coimbra, Portugal
- Who: Diego Soldevilla and Cristiano Micheli
- When: June 6th-8th
- Institute for Biomedical Imaging and Life Sciences, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
Monday June 6th
- 9:45 Registration, coffee, opening remarks
- 10:05 – 11:00 Lecture: An introduction to the EEG/MEG and the FieldTrip toolbox
- 11:00 – 11:15 Coffee Break
- 11:15 – 12:45 Hands-on: Getting started with event-related potentials * https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/preprocessing_erp
- 12:45 – 13:45 Lunch
- 13:45 – 14:45 Lecture: Fundamentals of neuronal oscillations and synchrony
- 14:45 – 15:00 Coffee Break
- 15:00 – 16:45 Hands-on: Time-frequency analysis of power
- 16:45 – 17:30 Wrap-up-the-day: “Ask the experts” session
20:00 Workshop Dinner @ ???
Tuesday June 7th
- 10:00 – 11:00 Lecture: Beamformer techniques for source reconstruction
- 11:00 – 11:15 Coffee break
11:15 – 13:00 Hands-on: Identifying oscillatory sources using beamformer techniques _ https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/beamformer _ https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/headmodel_eeg_bem
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lunch
- 14:00 – 15:15 Lecture: Non-parametric randomization techniques
- 15:15 – 15:30 Coffee break
- 15:30 – 17:15 Hands-on: Parametric and non-parametric statistics on event related fields _ https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/eventrelatedstatistics _ https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/cluster_permutation_freq
- 17:15 – 18:00 Wrap-up-the-day: “Ask the experts” session
Wednesday June 8th
- Session V
- 10:00 – 13:00 FieldTrip playground
Installing FieldTrip and Tutorial preparation
For the hands-on sessions you have to start MATLAB. To ensure that everything runs smooth, we will work with a clean and well-tested version of FieldTrip that you can download here). Importantly, the tutorial data does not have to be downloaded but we strongly recommend to download before the workshop at ftp://ftp.fieldtriptoolbox.org/pub/fieldtrip/fieldtrip-20160531.zip
- Copy the complete contents of the USB stick to your computer.
- Unzip the fieldtrip-20160531.zip file.
- Put all the data files in a directory called ‘tutorial’ (or something else you’ll remember).
Depending on the unzip program you are using (e.g. Winrar), the name of the zip file might also appear as directiory, resulting in path_to_directory/fieldtrip-20160531/fieldtrip-20160531, i.e. the FieldTrip directory in a FieldTrip directory. Please fix that by moving all files one level up.
After copying all files to your computer and unzipping then, you start MATLAB. To ensure that the right version of FieldTrip is used, and not another version (such as the one included in SPM or EEGLAB), you type in the MATLAB command window
restoredefaultpath cd path_to_directory/fieldtrip-20160531 addpath(pwd) ft_defaults
Please do NOT use the graphical path management tool from MATLAB. In this hands-on session we’ll manage the path from the command line, but in general you are much better off using the startup.m file than the path GUI.
Please do NOT add FieldTrip with all subdirectories, subdirectories will be added automatically when needed, and only when needed.
restoredefaultpath command clears your path, keeping only the
official MATLAB toolboxes. The
addpath(pwd) statement adds the
present working directory, i.e. the directory containing the fieldtrip
main functions. The
ft_defaults command ensures that all required
subdirectories are added to the path.
If you get the error “can’t find the command ft_defaults” you should check the present working directory.
After installing FieldTrip to your path, you change into the tutorial directory