FieldTrip workshop in Göttingen in 2014
Room 2.122 Georg-Elias-Müller-Institut für Psychologie Gosslerstrasse 14 D-37073 Göttingen
February 8-9, 2014
Lilla Magyari and Nietzsche Lam
The local organizers are Danai Theodosopoulou and Carsten Schmidt
Saturday 8th February
- 10:00 - 10:15 Registration, welcome, opening remarks
- 10:15 - 11:15 Lecture: An introduction to the MEG/EEG and the FieldTrip toolbox
- 11:15 - 11:30 Coffee Break
- 11:30 - 13:30 Hands-on: Initiation to FieldTrip & getting started with EEG data (preprocessing, ERP)
- 13:30 - 14:45 Lunch
- 14:45 - 15:45 Lecture: Fundamentals of neuronal oscillations and synchrony
- 15:45 - 16:00 Coffee Break
- 16:00 - 18:00 Hands-on: Time-frequency analysis of power
- 18:00 - 18:30 Wrap-up-the-day and Summary
Sunday 9th February
- 9:00 - 10:15 Lecture: Non-parametric permutation techniques
- 10:15 - 10:30 Coffee break
- 10:30 - 12:30 Hands-on: Statistical Analyses
- 12:30 - 13:45 Lunch
- 13:45 - 14:45 Lecture: Source reconstruction in FieldTrip
- 14:45 - 15:00 Coffee break
- 15:00 - 17:00 FieldTrip Playground (bring your own data)
- 17:00 - 17:30 Wrap-up-the-day and Summary
Installing FieldTrip and preparing for the hands-on sessions
For the hands-on sessions you have to start MATLAB. To ensure that everything runs smooth, we will work with a clean and well-tested version of FieldTrip that is distributed on a USB stick, rather than the older version you might already have installed. Furthermore, the tutorial data will also be distributed on the USB stick.
If you want to download it in advance, please go to https://download.fieldtriptoolbox.org/ and get
- all files in the tutorial/eventrelatedaveraging directory
Depending on the unzip program you are using (e.g., Winrar), the name of the zip file might also appear as directory, resulting in path_to_directory/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx, i.e. the FieldTrip directory in a FieldTrip directory. Please fix that by moving all files one level up.
After copying all files to your computer and unzipping then, you start MATLAB. To ensure that the right version of FieldTrip is used, and not another version (such as the one included in SPM or EEGLAB), you type in the MATLAB command window
restoredefaultpath cd path_to_directory/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx addpath(pwd) ft_defaults
Please do NOT use the graphical path management tool from MATLAB. In this hands-on session we’ll manage the path from the command line, but in general you are much better off using a startup.m file than the path GUI.
Please do NOT add FieldTrip with all subdirectories, subdirectories will be added automatically when needed, but only when needed.
restoredefaultpath command clears your path, keeping only the
official MATLAB toolboxes. The
addpath(pwd) statement adds the
present working directory, i.e. the directory containing the fieldtrip
main functions. The
ft_defaults command ensures that all required
subdirectories are added to the path.
If you get the error “can’t find the command ft_defaults” you should check the present working directory.
After installing FieldTrip to your path, you change into the data directory