FieldTrip workshop in Mannheim
The Central Institute of Mental Health (CIMH) in Mannheim Germany will be hosting a FieldTrip Course on MEG Analysis with Tzvetan Popov and Gianpaolo Dimarchi from 10 to 12 of December 2018.
Central Institute for Mental Health
Mon 10 Dec- Wed 12 Dec, 2018.
Tzvetan Popov and Gianpaolo Dimarchi.
Monday 10 December 2018
- 10:00 - 10:15 Registration, welcome and coffee
- 10:15 - 11:15 Lecture: Introduction to MEG and the FieldTrip Toolbox Tzvetan Popov
- 11:15 - 11:30 Coffee break
- 11:30 - 13:30 Hands-on: Initiation to FieldTrip; Analyzing MEG data (event-related fields)
- 13:30 - 14:45 Lunch
- 14:45 - 15:45 Lecture: Fundamentals of neuronal oscillations and synchrony Tzvetan Popov
- 15:45 - 16:00 Coffee break
- 16:00 - 18:00 Hands-on: Time-frequency Analysis of Power
- 18:00 - 18:30 Wrap-up-the-day and Summary
Tuesday 11 December 2018
- 9:00 - 10:15 Lecture: Non-parametric permutation techniques Tzvetan Popov
- 10:15- 10:30 Coffee break
- 10:30- 12:30 Hands-On: Statistical Analyses
- 12:30- 13:45 Lunch
- 13:45 - 14:45 Lecture: Source reconstruction in FieldTrip Tzvetan Popov
- 14:45 - 15:00 Coffee break
- 15:00 - 17:00 Hands-on: Source Reconstruction on Oscillatory data (beamformer)
- 17:00 - 17:30 Wrap-up-the-day and Summary
- 19:00 - 23:00 Social Event
Wednesday 12 December 2018
- 9:00 - 10:15 FieldTrip Playground (bring your own data) Tzvetan Popov and Gianpaolo Dimarchi
- 10:15- 10:30 Coffee break
- 10:30- 12:30 FieldTrip Playground (bring your own data)
- 12:30- 13:45 Wrap-up-the-day and Closing remarks
Getting started with the hands-on sessions
For the hands-on sessions you have to start MATLAB. Make sure you have downloaded the hands-on data prior to the start of the workshop as it is quite a large download. All the required data and a recent version of FieldTrip can be downloaded here.
Depending on the unzip program you are using (e.g. Winrar), the name of the zip file might also appear as directiory, resulting in path_to_directory/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx, i.e. the FieldTrip directory in a FieldTrip directory. Please fix that by moving all files one level up.
After copying all files to your computer and unzipping then, you start MATLAB. To ensure that the right version of FieldTrip is used, and not another version (such as the one included in SPM or EEGLAB), you type in the MATLAB command window
restoredefaultpath cd path_to_directory/fieldtrip-xxxxxxxx addpath(pwd) ft_defaults
Please do NOT use the graphical path management tool from MATLAB. In this hands-on session we’ll manage the path from the command line, but in general you are much better off using a startup.m file than the path GUI.
Please do NOT add FieldTrip with all subdirectories, subdirectories will be added automatically when needed, but only when needed.
The restoredefaultpath command clears your path, keeping only the official MATLAB toolboxes. The addpath(pwd) statement adds the present working directory, i.e. the directory containing the fieldtrip main funcctions. The ft_defaults command ensures that all required subdirectories are added to the path.
If you get the error “can’t find the command ft_defaults” you should check the present working directory.
After installing FieldTrip to your path, you change into the data directory